Saturday, November 14, 2009

Cool Shite... Ooops! I meant, "Cool Site."

(Saturday. Yes, it is...)

Not much today. Just hangin' with the fam.

Just wanted to let everyone know to check out this cool site:

http://www.wahabalgarmi.com/

Wahab's a buddy of mine from school. He was the one who put me on the the HE-MAN show, and was responsible for a killer "fine art" STRATOS piece.

He is the co-creator(with a bevy of artists, most recently, Joel Sigua) and writer of "THE SOCIETY OF UNORDINARY YOUNG LADIES". (Independently published under his Sturdy Comics label.) Currently available to read on his site are issues #1-3. I briefly caught up with him (And Tien Dog!) at the last Wonder Con where he was pimpin' the book amongst other cool things. He hooked with signed copies of 1 and 2 (Lucky me!) and I recently read numero tres online.

Imagine Alan Moore's League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but instead of being set in the Victorian era, it is set in the 1980's, and instead of starring some of the greatest literary characters of our time, it starred some of the greatest (and not-so-greatest) sitcom characters of it their time.

Cover to issue #1 (by Natividad)

We're talkin' the gals of The Facts Of Life (Always had crush on Jo, myself. Does that make me gay?), Punky Brewster and her dog, Charles and Buddy (Of Charles In Charge, natch!), Evie from Out Of This World, V.I.C.K.I.E. the robot girl from Small Wonder, Jessica Fletcher from Murder, She Wrote (!) and even Wednesday Aadams (So far, the only deviation from the 80's formula. But, hey. She's timeless!) I don't ever like to discuss the plots of anything too much because I don't want to be responsible for any "spoilers". Besides, the fun of this book is being surprised and tickled by the many colorful (Even in b & w.) characters from your past that show up to join in the festivities. I will say that story (Again, so far. I wouldn't expect anything less from Wahab if he didn't pull the occasional rug out from underneath us.) relies mainly on the spy/espionage genre - with secret S.H.I.E.L.D.- like military organizations, suspense filled interrogations, robots (ala V.I.C.K.I.E.) & dogs to the rescue. It is an extremely fun read, and Wahab and team recently got some big-ups from both USA Today & AIN'T IT COOL NEWS.

Cover to issue #2 (by Natividad)

The site also features samples of some of Wahab's illustrations & fine art work.

By Wahab Algarmi

Those who like Marvel Comics will dig his hip-hop interperations of classic (Kirby-style) Marvel characters.

By Wahab Algarmi

It also features, in the Sequential Art section, an adaptation of a short story I wrote, "Twelve Hours Till Showtime". It's a vulgar little EC-style type story chronicling the last hours of two sibling death row inmates. Wahab took my story and ran with it, doing a masterful job of bringing it to life with beautiful b & w artwork reminiscent of David Lapham (One o' my faves! So, thanks Wahab!) Anybody who knows me will recognize "the voice" right away (What with all the "f" bombs and such.). So I mos definitely "pity the fool" who don't check it out!

By Wahab Algarmi

So. If you're down for some cool shit (Come on. You know you are.), check out the site and show my man, Wahab some love.

Oh, and... read my story, too.

B

Art Gallery: "The Chase" a lil' bit o' action from the sketchbook.


"Click" for a closer look at the action...

No comments:

Post a Comment