Sunday, November 15, 2009

Resolute

Hello. Tomorrow is yet another Monday. Bring on the suck!

Anyone disappointed in the recent "G.I. Joe" movie (Personally, I wasn't. I knew what to expect.It was stupid and cheesey but if it had to be in the hands of Stephen Sommers, it could've been waaaaay worse. Except for aspects of the first film and Rachel Weisz, I didn't really care for the Mummy movies, and don't get me started on Van Helsing. I actually think "Deep Rising" is his best film, bar-none. "Transformers: Revenge Of The Fallen", on the other hand, pissed me off. With the exception of "Titan-" Oops. I mean, "Pearl Harbor", I'll defend anything on Michael Bay's film resume. But the story and most of the characters in Fallen were pretty lame. Jesus! What was I talkin' about?! )

Anyways. The point is, if you like G.I. Joe, but you hated the movie, check out this cool lil' animated film, "G.I. Joe: Resolute." It's a Joe movie for grown ups. It's what the feature film might have been in the hands of another director (I'm thinking, The Kingdom and The Rundown's Peter Berg.). The action is pretty hardcore. The story written by comic book superstar Warren Ellis ("Planetary", "Fell") definitely pulls no punches. People die. Joe's die. And Snake Eyes, in a stand out sequence involving the silent ninja's infiltration of a Cobra island, is fuckin'... well... Snake Eyes, for God's sake.

The look is anime-inspired, but not overly-stylized. That is a good thing. The character animation is strong and the colors and details are all top notch. At a brisk 58 minutes, it never drags. In fact, I would've liked it to be a least 30 minutes longer just to beef up some of the characters (Destro!!!), but overall it's pretty solid. It played late night on Cartoon Network a few months ago, but recently (To coincide with the feature film's dvd release.) just came out on dvd. Give it a spin!!!

Art Gallery: Today's entry is a little different today...

Here is lil' five page Blade story I did as a submission when Marvel had their quickly defunct Epic line idea.

It's definitely rough. I admit that my sequential storytelling skills need work. But I'm constantly trying to improve by drawing and drawing and drawing. (When I can. Does that totally negate the whole "...and drawing and drawing" thing? Don't think about it too much.) But seriously. I'm getting there.

I do like some of the drawing, though - some of the characters. (Pgs. 2 and 3 are my favorite. I like elements of 4 and 5. Pg. 1 pretty much sucks. I wish I could've inked it myself, but they don't want you to do that when you submit work.) It was fun, though. (That's supposed to be what's important. Right?) As always, you can go down to the Art Gallery section to see bigger versions of the pages. Check it out. Hope it makes sense.

Peace.

B


"Click" on these bad boys for a closer look...

No comments:

Post a Comment